Last Updated: April 2023
Please note that if you disagree with anything in this Privacy Notice, you must not use the Sites or mobile applications, or provide personal information to us in connection with Inspire’s products or services.
Information We Collect
Why We Collect Your Information
How We Share Your Information
Your Privacy Rights and Choices
Notice for Individuals Located in Europe
Changes to this Notice
This policy applies to all information that we collect about you when you use the Sites or related mobile applications, use Inspire products and services and complete related forms, participate in Inspire events, or communicate with one of our representatives.
It does not cover the privacy practices of other third-party websites we may link to.
If you are in the European Economic Area, United Kingdom and/or Switzerland, refer to Section 9 below for policies specific to you.
- use the Inspire websites located at https://inspireleadershipnetwork.com, any of our local chapter websites, and other websites owned or controlled by Inspire or related mobile applications (collectively “Sites”); or
- use Inspire products or services and complete related forms, participate in Inspire events, participate in Inspire surveys, or communicate with one of our representatives.
Our Sites may contain links to third-party websites. These third-party websites and services are not related to us and may have separate privacy policies and data collection practices. We have no responsibility for these websites or their privacy practices and encourage you to read the privacy policies of all websites you visit.
Information We Collect
We collect personal information when you interact with our Services.
You provide data to us when you:
- Join as an Inspire member;
- Register for virtual, or in-person, events or conferences;
- Download certain publications or materials;
- Sign up to become a registered user of our Sites;
- Register to take a leadership or other course, such as those offered by Inspire Leadership Academy;
- Communicate with Inspire representatives and provide information to us, such as your name, email address, phone number, business name, address, and other information.
We record your visits and use of our services.
We may use automatic data collection technologies to collect certain information about your device, your activities on our site, and your location.
Third parties such as your employer, our training partners, or companies controlled by Inspire, may share your data with us.
We may collect data about you when you use our services on social media.
You provide us with data when you participate in our professional networking features or post on public areas of the Sites.
We use third-party payment processors who fully comply with PCI requirements. As such, your online payment data is not captured, stored, or used by us.
We collect personal information when you interact with our Sites and Services. Personal information is data that can be used to identify you directly or indirectly or to contact you including, but not limited to, your name, mailing address, email address, and telephone number. This policy does not apply to anonymized information as it cannot be used to identify you. The types of personal information that we may collect about you include, but are not limited to, the information you provide to us, information from third parties, and information collected automatically about your use of our Services.
1. Information You Directly and Voluntarily Provide to Us
- Membership. If you provide your personal information to Inspire to become a member, or if you sign up to become a registered user of any Site, you will be required to provide certain information as part of the registration process. This information may include your first and last name, email address, and business or home address, or other information. We may also request that you voluntarily provide other information, such as your phone number, date of birth, demographic information, educational background, work experience, information about your non-Inspire certifications, courses or areas of study in which you may be interested, and information about your company as it relates to our Services and your membership. We use this information to communicate with you, to design content and activities that we believe would be of interest to you, and to ensure that we will not violate any applicable U.S. sanctions in providing you access to our Services.
- We rely on fulfillment of contract as the lawful basis under Article 6, GDPR for processing members’ personal information.
- Events and Conferences. We may host events that include in-person and virtual conferences, training, knowledge sharing and webinars. If you register for an event, and you already have an account, we will access the information in your account to provide you with information and services associated with the event. We may also ask for additional demographic information during the registration process. If you register for one of our events and you do not have an account or are not a member, we will collect your first and last name, email address, business or home address, information about the type of business you work for or with, and your role in that business.
- We use the information provided by event attendees to provide them with event services, including badge printing, tracking your Continuing Professional Education (CPE) credits, tailoring sessions to meet the audience profile, and determining the sessions likely to require the biggest rooms, and related purposes connected with the event. We rely on fulfillment of contract as the lawful basis under Article 6, GDPR for processing your personal information in relation to events and conferences.
- If you are a presenter at one of our events, we will collect information about you such as your name, employer, contact information, and photograph, and we may also collect information provided by event attendees who evaluated your performance as a presenter. We may also make and store a recording of your voice and likeness in certain instances. We rely on a legitimate interest as the lawful basis under Article 6, GDPR for collecting, storing, and processing your personal information in this way.
- Publications. From time to time, we may offer various publications and materials through our Sites. Some of these publications and materials may be publicly accessible, and others require that you be a member, or that you create an account and subscribe to receive these publications and materials. If you are not a member and you create an account for this purpose, you will be required to provide certain information as part of your account registration, which may include your first and last name, email address, business or home address, and professional information. We rely on our contract with you as the lawful basis under Article 6, GDPR to process your personal information for purposes of fulfilling your request to receive our publications.
- Courses. When you register to take an Inspire course under Inspire Leadership Academy or other offerings, we will collect certain personal information such as your first and last name, email address, phone number, business address, home address, demographic information, and professional and educational history. We may also collect and store the information you provide to us about special accommodations that you may request. Only authorized representatives within Inspire and our fulfillment partners have access to your personal information pertaining to any special accommodations you may request. Inspire will collect your coursework and assessment results, in conjunction with completing the course, if applicable, your record of participation in continuing professional education.
- Course Completion Status. If you complete an Inspire course, we will only share your completion status with a third party to the extent we have received your prior consent to share such information.
- Communications. If you communicate or correspond with us by email, through postal mail, telephone, SMS text message, or other forms of communication, we may collect the information you provide as part of those communications. For example, if you correspond with us through email, we may collect and store the email address you use to send the applicable correspondence and use it to respond to your inquiry; to notify you of Inspire services; or to keep a record of your inquiry, accommodation request, and similar purposes. We have a legitimate interest in processing the personal information of those who communicate voluntarily with us so that we can provide our Services.
2. Information We Automatically Collect. As you navigate through and interact with our Sites, we may use automatic data collection technologies to collect certain information about your device (computer, tablet, smart phone) and your activities, including:
- If you access the Services through a computer, we will automatically collect information such as your browser type and version, computer and connection information, IP address, mobile device advertising identifier, Media Access Control (MAC) address pages you have visited, type of device, operating system name and version, device manufacturer, browser information (type, version), screen resolution, Internet service provider or mobile carrier’s name, connection speed and connection type, date stamp, URL of the last webpage visited before visiting our Platform, and URL of the first page visited after leaving our Platform, pages viewed, time spent on a page, click through, clickstream data, queries made, search results selected, comments made, search history, type of service requested, purchases made, and information collected through cookies, pixel tags, and other technologies. For more information on the tracking technology we use, please see our Cookie Notice, which describes the cookies used on our Sites and provides information on how users can control the information they process.
- If you access the Services through a mobile device, we may also be able to identify the location of your mobile device. We use your location information (if shared) to identify the geographic locations from which our content is accessed so that we can better understand what content topics may be most relevant in that region, and to our members generally, and to develop resources around those content topics. You may choose not to share your location details with us by adjusting your mobile device’s location services settings. For instructions on changing the relevant settings, please contact your service provider or device manufacturer.
We rely on our legitimate interest in understanding how our members and visitors use our website in processing personal information in this way. Such processing assists us in providing more relevant products and services to our members, and in providing value to our network.
3. Information from Third Parties. We may receive personal information about individuals from third parties. This may happen if your employer pays and registers you for membership, events, or courses, however, we will only share information about you with your employer if you consent in advance to our sharing this information.
4. Information You Post on the Sites. If you post information on community areas of the Sites, that information may be collected and used by us or other users of the Sites.
5. Information You Provide to Payment Processors. All payments made to us are processed by a PCI/DSS-compliant (these are payment card industry security standards) payment processing service. All information collected by these third-party providers for purposes of processing your payments is not available to us unless you have otherwise provided this information to us in connection with your use of the Sites or our Services.
Why We Collect Your Information
We use your data to provide our services to you, respond to you, advise you of other services, and to personalize your experience.
We will only use your information as described in this Notice or as disclosed to you prior to such processing taking place.
- To Provide and Maintain our Services. We will use your personal information to provide information or deliver Services that you request and to allow you to participate in interactive features of our Sites and Services when you choose to do so. For example, we process your personal information to provide membership benefits and other services to you, including order processing, processing of membership applications, and registering you for events or courses. When you sign up for a course or event, we will use your personal information to facilitate the delivery of such course or event. In compliance with applicable laws, we may also publish the names, titles, country and business affiliations of officers, committee members and others who have assisted with initiatives or projects to provide recognition of their achievements to the Inspire community.
- To Provide Member Support. We collect any information that you provide to us when you contact us, such as member service questions, requests, or feedback. Without your personal information, we cannot respond to you.
- To Personalize Your Experience. We may also use your personal information to tailor your experience at our Sites and for our Services, to compile and display content and information that we think you might be interested in, and to provide you with content according to these preferences. We may also use this information to help us understand your needs and interests, and to better tailor our products and services to meet your needs.
- To Send You Event or other Marketing Emails. We may use your personal information we collect from you and third-party sources to contact you with event information, newsletters, marketing materials, and other information, such as surveys, that may be of interest to you, to deliver targeted and relevant messages to you, and to promote our Services. Our marketing will be conducted in accordance with your communication preferences and as permitted by applicable law.
- For Research and Development. We may use your information to gather analysis or valuable information so that we can improve our Services and to detect, prevent and address technical issues. We may also use your information to monitor the usage of our Site including without limitation search terms entered, pages visited and documents viewed.
- For Security Reasons. We may use personal information to help monitor, prevent and detect fraud, enhance security, monitor and verify identity or access, or security risks.
- To Post Testimonials. We may use personal information to post testimonials on our Sites. Prior to posting a testimonial, we will obtain your consent to use your name and testimonial. You can request your testimonial be updated or deleted at any time by sending a request with your name, testimonial location and contact information.
- To Enforce Compliance with Our Code of Conduct, Agreements, or Policies. When you access or use our Services, you are bound to our Code of Conduct and this Policy. To ensure you comply with them, we process your personal information by actively monitoring, investigating, preventing, and mitigating any alleged or actual prohibited, illicit or illegal activities on our Services. We also may process your personal information to: investigate, prevent, or mitigate violations of our internal terms, agreements, or policies; enforce our agreements with third parties and business partners; and, as applicable, collect fees based on your use of our Services. We also use your information to ensure that we will not violate any applicable U.S. sanctions by providing you access to our Services.
- Other Legitimate Business Purpose. We may use your personal information when it is necessary for other legitimate purposes such as protecting our confidential and proprietary information.
We take reasonable measures to ensure your data is safe.
We take reasonable measures to protect any personal information we may hold in order to prevent loss, misuse, unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration and destruction. In some areas of our platforms, we may use encryption technologies to enhance data privacy and help prevent loss, misuse, or alteration of the information under Inspire’s control.
We cannot guarantee, however, that all information will remain secure. The Internet by its nature is a public forum. We encourage you to use caution when disclosing information online. Often, you are in the best situation to protect yourself online. You are responsible for protecting your login ID and password from third-party access, and for selecting passwords that are secure.
We retain your information according to applicable laws and store it securely.
When we have no justifiable business need to process your personal information, we will either delete or anonymize it, or, if this is not possible (for example, because your personal information has been stored in backup archives), then we will securely store your personal information and isolate it from any further processing until deletion is possible.
Your Privacy Rights and Choices
You have choices on how we communicate with you.
Listed below are choices we provide you in relation to the processing of your personal information. Individuals located in the European Economic Area (“EEA”), the United Kingdom or Switzerland at the time they access our Services, please see section 9, for more information about your choices and rights.
- Marketing Communications. If you receive commercial electronic communications from us, you can unsubscribe from the receipt of future commercial electronic communications from us by clicking on the “unsubscribe link” provided in such communications. Please note that even though you have opt-out of receiving marketing-related communications from us, we may still send you important administrative messages, and you cannot opt-out from receiving these messages.
- Access and Correction. You have the right to review and correct personal information that we have collected from you. You may exercise this right by contacting us at firstname.lastname@example.org. In your request, please make clear what information you would like to have changed. For your protection, we may need to verify your identity before implementing your request. We will try to implement your request as soon as reasonably practicable. We reserve the right to refuse to act on a request that is manifestly unfounded or excessive (for example because it is repetitive) and/or to charge a fee that takes into account the administrative costs for providing the information or taking the action requested.
- California Residents. This section applies only to California residents.
- California's "Shine the Light" law (Civil Code Section § 1798.83) permits users of our Services that are California residents to request certain information regarding our disclosure of personal information to third parties, to the extent applicable. Please submit such a request to us at email@example.com.
- If you are a California resident under the age of 18, and you are registered visitor of a Site, you may request that we remove content or information that you posted on the Site by submitting a request to us at firstname.lastname@example.org, and clearly identifying the content or information that you wish to have removed, and providing sufficient information to allow us to locate the content or information to be removed.
- Your browser may allow you to adjust your browser settings so that “do not track” requests are sent to the websites that you visit. However, we do not respond to “Do Not Track” (DNT) signals. To determine whether any of the third-party services it uses honor the “Do Not Track” requests, please read their privacy policies.
We operate in the United States as an American organization.
Your personal information may be transferred to and maintained on computers located outside of your state, province, country, or other governmental jurisdiction where the data protection laws may differ from those of your jurisdiction. If you are located outside the United States and choose to provide information to us, please note that we transfer the data, including personal information, to the United States and process it there.
Individuals located in the European Economic Area (“EEA”), the United Kingdom or Switzerland at the time they access our Services, please see section 9, for information on how we transfer your personal information.
Notice For Individuals Located In Europe
If you are in the European Economic Area, United Kingdom and/or Switzerland, the policies in this section are specific to you. They describe how we market to you, our legal bases for processing your information and your rights.
This section only applies to individuals that access or use our Services while located in the European Economic Area, United Kingdom and/or Switzerland (collectively “Europe”). We may ask you to identify which country you are located in when you use some of the Services or we may rely on your IP address to identify which country you are located in. When we rely on your IP address, we cannot apply the terms of this section to any individual who masks or otherwise hides their location information from us so as not to appear located in Europe. If any terms in this section conflict with other terms contained in this Policy, the terms in this section shall apply to users in Europe.
We are a controller with regard to any personal information collected from individuals accessing or using our Services. A “controller” is an entity that determines the purposes for which and the manner in which any personal information is processed.
- Marketing. We will only contact individuals located in Europe by electronic means (including email or SMS) based on our legitimate interests, as permitted by applicable law or the individual’s consent. When we rely on legitimate interest, we will only send you information about our Services that are similar to those which were the subject of a previous discussion with you. If you do not want us to use your personal information in this way or to disclose your personal information to third parties for marketing purposes, please click an unsubscribe link in your emails or submit a request to us at email@example.com. You can object to direct marketing at any time. Direct marketing includes any communications to you that are only based on advertising or promoting products and services.
- Legal Bases for Processing. Our legal bases for the processing activities identified in this Policy are:
- We rely on our contract with you as our legal basis for processing in relation to the following: to provide and maintain our services, to provide customer support or respond to you, to enforce compliance with our Terms, agreements or policies, and to share your information with service providers.
- Depending on the specific circumstances, we rely on your consent or legitimate interest in relation to the following processing activities: to send you marketing and promotional emails, to advise you of other services, and to share your information with business partners, sponsors, or within our corporate organization.
- We rely on legitimate interest in relation to the following processing activities: to personalize your experience, for research and development, and when we share your information with board members or volunteers or in relation to business transfers or bankruptcy.
- When we share your information to respond to subpoenas, court orders, government requests, or to protect rights and comply with our policies, or in relation to business transfers or bankruptcy, our processing is based on our legal obligations.
- Your Rights. We provide you with the rights described below when you use our Services. We may limit your individual rights requests in the following ways: (a) where denial of access is required or authorized by law; (b) when granting access would have a negative impact on other’s privacy; (c) to protect our rights and properties; and (d) where the request is frivolous or burdensome. When we fulfill your individual rights requests for correction (or rectification), erasure or restriction of processing, we will notify third parties also handling the relevant personal information unless this proves impossible or involves disproportionate effort. If you would like to exercise your rights under applicable law, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We may seek to verify your identity when we receive an individual rights request from you to ensure the security of your personal information.
In certain circumstances, you have the following data protection rights:
- Right to withdraw consent. You have the right to withdraw your consent to the processing of your personal information collected on the basis of your consent at any time. Your withdrawal will not affect the lawfulness of our processing based on consent before your withdrawal.
- Right of access to and rectification of your personal information. You have a right to request that we provide you a copy of your personal information held by us. This information will be provided without undue delay subject to some fee associated with the gathering of the information (as permitted by law), unless such provision adversely affects the rights and freedoms of others. You may also request us to rectify or update any of your personal information held by us that is inaccurate.
- Right to erasure. You have the right to request erasure of your personal information that: (a) is no longer necessary in relation to the purposes for which it was collected or otherwise processed; (b) was collected in relation to processing that you previously consented, but later withdraw such consent; or (c) was collected in relation to processing activities to which you object, and there are no overriding legitimate grounds for our processing. If we have made your personal information public and are obliged to erase the personal information, we will, taking account of available technology and the cost of implementation, take reasonable steps, including technical measures, to inform other parties that are processing your personal information that you have requested the erasure of any links to, or copy or replication of your personal information. The above is subject to limitations by relevant data protection laws.
- Right to data portability. If we process your personal information based on a contract with you or based on your consent, or the processing is carried out by automated means, you may request to receive your personal information in a structured, commonly used and machine-readable format, and to have us transfer your personal information directly to another “controller”, where technically feasible, unless the exercise of this right adversely affects the rights and freedoms of others.
- Right to the restriction of or processing. You have the right to restrict or object to us processing your personal information where one of the following applies:
- You contest the accuracy of your personal information that we processed. In such instances, we will restrict processing during the period necessary for us to verify the accuracy of your personal information.
- The processing is unlawful and you oppose the erasure of your personal information and request the restriction of its use instead.
- We no longer need your personal information for the purposes of the processing, but it is required by you to establish, exercise or in defense of legal claims.
- You have objected to processing, pending the verification whether the legitimate grounds of our processing override your rights.
- Restricted personal information shall only be processed with your consent or for the establishment, exercise or defense of legal claims or for the protection of the rights of another natural or legal person or for reasons of important public interest. We will inform you if the restriction is lifted.
- Right to object to processing. Where the processing of your personal information is based on consent, contract or legitimate interests, you may restrict or object, at any time, to the processing of your personal information as permitted by applicable law. We can continue to process your personal information if it is necessary for the defense of legal claims or for any other exceptions permitted by applicable law.
- Automated individual decision-making, including profiling. You have the right not to be subject to a decision based solely on automated processing of your personal information, including profiling, which produces legal or similarly significant effects on you, save for the exceptions applicable under relevant data protection laws. We do not engage in this type of automated processing.
We do not collect data from children under the age of 13
Our Sites are not intended for children under 13 years of age. No one under age 13 may provide any information via our Sites. We do not knowingly collect personal information from children under 13. If you are under 13, do not use or provide any information to us via the Sites, register with or for any Services, or provide any information about yourself to us, including your name, address, telephone number, email address, or any screen name or user name you may use. If we learn we have collected or received personal information via the Website from a child under 13 without verification of parental consent, we will delete that information. If you believe we might have any information from or about a child under 13, please contact us at email@example.com.
Changes To This Notice
We may update this policy.
Our contact information.